The End of the Season and Planning Your Next Season

Today was the Silverman Triathlon in Las Vegas. Congratulations to all the finishers. It was a great race day and Frank Lowery always puts on an amazing race. Nancy Dickenson who is a client of mine and a trainer for Real Results Fitness had a great performance. She finished 8th overall for females in something like 5:30ish. The exact results are not in yet.

Finally the end of the 2009 Triathlon season. Most of the races for 2009 are over and it is now time to take it easy for a few weeks if you don't have an upcoming event. If you recently just had your last race, take a few easy weeks. Then it is a great time to build your base. That means long slow training. It is also a great time to add another day of strength training into your program. Off season is the perfect time to try and put back the little muscle you may have lost during the triathlon season.

As a coach one of the toughest things is getting through to people that less is better. That goes for training and racing. When I have clients that give me the races they want to do sometimes I cringe and have to tell them to eliminate some. Do you want to perform average at a bunch of races or have your best race at a few key races? It is important to pick one or two A races then a few B or C races. These all must be strategically planned for optimum performance. Just think of all the money you will save in race fees if you plan your season right! If you are taking on your first Ironman race it is important to focus on your training rather than racing. If you are able to plan a half prior to your Ironman that is great. The question is, will you race it as if you are training or will you kill yourself? It is very hard for someone who is a competitive person to race it as a training day! If that is the case you are better off having a good training day and not do the half. If you are in the first few years of your triathlon career, it will take you much longer to recover from a race. Someone who has been racing longer typically will recover faster. Be smart in your planning! Remember less is most likely better when it comes to racing. This past year I took on a new adventure. I did my first 50-mile run. For the first time in several years I did not do a full Ironman distance race. I wanted to do one but I knew that to train right for both would be too much. I planned my season knowing that if I did both I would likely be over trained, get injured, be burnt out, and not have my best performance. I was so thankful that I planned it that way. The 50-mile run took so much more out of me than I anticipated. If you have any questions about planning your season feel free to email me at trainwithcyndee@yahoo.com.

For those of you that are doing the Las Vegas Marathon it is very close! I will be running it and have several clients running either the half or full.

My next post is going to be about some of my favorite things related to training. Stay tuned because it will be a great post to forward to your family for hints about what to get you for Christmas!

Lastly if you happen to read some of the comments on the blog, I need to tell you this crazy guy named DAN is my brother. He has always wanted to be as fit as me but has never been able to achieve it. He wishes he could run, swim or bike like me and he will always try to be better but never will! As you might guess we are somewhat competitive and either of us will get a dig in anyway we can! We really do love each other:) DAN get to the gym and stop eating junk food!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Triathletes - to spin or not to spin?

The Ironman Tattoo

My Top Training Product Picks