Give up a run/bike/swim for Yoga? Sounds crazy but maybe not!

I can't believe I have not posted anything all month. I guess that shows you how busy I have been! Yesterday was the third weekly run for the Rockin Runners group that I am coaching in Henderson. It is a lot of fun so if you want to join a running group then go to www.rockinrunners.com. When I was running with Nancy one of my clients and another trainer, we were talking about training and staying healthy and injury free. I always tell people to stretch, ice, get enough sleep, recover, eat healthy, take vitamins, and listen to their body. As a coach I design training for runners and triathletes. I give them very detailed workouts to prepare them for races. I don't include yoga, stretching, good sleep in the actual plan but maybe I should. I tell people to do all of these things but do they really? I don't think most of us (myself included) do it nearly enough. We get so focused on making sure we get that bike, swim, or run workout in. When it is all said and done we don't have time to dedicate to the equally important things like flexibility. To be competitive at Ironman St. George this aspect of my training will be essential. I have started doing Bikrams Yoga once a week. I did this when training for the last two Ironman races that I did. Bikrams is hot yoga for 90 minutes. This is not an easy yoga, it is very intense. It has really helped in my training. Nancy who I was running with specialized in flexibility for athletes. She is going to stretch me several times a month during my training for Ironman St. George. Another thing I am committed to is massage. Jessica is a client of mine that does massage. I have had a lot of massage therapists in my life and she is by far the best. Massage is another aspect of your training that will help you perform better. I was always a sceptic when it came to chiropractic care until I met Josh Satterlee. He is another one of my clients and he has helped me continue my training when I was sure I would be sidelined by an injury. He has helped me look at the human body and injuries in a whole different light. He does ART (Active Release Therapy) and it has been very helpful. So let me summarize my plan for staying healthy and improving my performance:

1. Flexibility - Doing Yoga (I like Bikrams) once a week, hire someone to stretch you for up to 30 minutes - Nancy Dickenson is my recommendation. I can give you her contact or you can read all about her at www.realresultsfitness.com.
2. Massage - If you can afford getting a massage once a week then do it. It will help you in your training. Jessica Wheeler is the best massage therapist and specializes working on athletes. I can provide you her contact information. She also works for www.realresultsfitness.com.
3. Chiropractic Care - I recommend Josh Satterlee at BioMechanics of Las Vegas. He is a triathlete and runner and understands the mechanics of athletes and the human body. You can contact him at www.biomechanics.com.
4. Another critical aspect to training is getting enough sleep. Turn off the TV and go to bed to get 8 hours of sleep! Your body needs to recover and sleep will help with this. If you are not sleeping well, then try Tranquil Sleep by Natural Factors.
5. I have a few of my personal tips for muscle/ligament/tendon soreness. Essential oils have helped me a lot. I am not sure of how much scientific proof they have but people have used them for years and they seem to help me. I am a distributor for Young Living Essential Oils. When buying essential oils it is important to by quality products. These are the purest you can get. Sometimes I get sore across the top of my foot which may be ligaments/tendons. I combine a few drops of lemongrass, basil, and peppermint and rub it on my foot. Basil and Lemongrass are supposed to help with ligaments and tendons. Peppermint is good for muscle soreness. This really seems to help me. I may smell a little funny but if it helps who cares. Young Living also makes a great product called PanAway for pain. This is a combination of essential oils that works great.
6. Ice after workouts is great. The hard, long workouts an ice bath is great. I know it does not sound pleasant but it is very helpful to decrease inflammation which training causes.
7. What you eat plays a huge roll in the amount of inflammation in your body. Eating lots of vegetables keeps your body less acidic. If you are too acidic you may have inflammation. Foods like coffee, pasta, and coke are very acidic and can make your body too acidic. Use these in moderation and eat more green veggies!

So rather than just focus on training put as much effort into staying healthy and recovery! Maybe you have to cut out one of your other workouts to make time for stretching or yoga but at times it is the best option!

Here are a few quick notes:
  1. I am coaching the Henderson group for Rockin Runners. You can go to www.rockinrunners.com to find out more information about this run group. We meet weekly and are training for various half and full marathons.
  2. Biomechanics of Las Vegas is putting on their first triathlon in May. It will be on May 8th and you can register by going to www.sincitytri.com. It is going to be the best race in Vegas!
  3. Great bike fitting at www.endurocoach.com.
  4. Help with your swim stroke go to www.swimsmooth.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Triathletes - to spin or not to spin?

The Ironman Tattoo

My Top Training Product Picks