It’s Over Now What?

Today I finally felt like I was getting back to normal after my half ironman on Sunday.  I did the Miami 70.3 – 5 days ago.  Normally I get back into the pool a few days after any race.  I take it easy but I always get moving right away. I do this after any event even an Ironman.  This race was different.  We made it a very quick trip to Miami and when I returned I couldn’t seem to get enough sleep.  Between the jet lag, race and the end of the season I was tired. We got back early Monday morning and I went to work that afternoon.  I didn’t sleep well while in Miami and it all caught up to me!   Having no energy is a very weird feeling for me. I am always on the go and full of energy.  I rarely go more than one day without some type of exercise.  Today I finally got into the pool for an easy swim.  It felt great to get moving.  After I write this I plan on going for a short run with my dogs.  This week will be easy.  I don’t have any more races for 2011.  My race season for 2012 is going to begin early in the year with the Phoenix Full Marathon in January.  My training for that will begin next week.  My season for next year is already planned.  I am doing the following races for 2012
·         January – Phoenix Marathon
·         April – Rage Half Ironman
·         May – Ironman Texas
·         June – Escape From Alcatraz
·         October – Pumpkinman Half Ironman
·         November – Roth Challenge South Africa
It is that time of year to start planning your 2012 race season.  You will need to choose what races are your A races and what races will be B and C races.  B and C races will be used for training for your A race.  The A race(s) are the most important races for the year.  You should not have all your races A races however you can have 2-3 A races. 
Now that your season is over don’t slack on the discipline that you don’t like to do.  Many people stop or limit doing what they don’t like to do.  So many people stay out of the pool in the winter because they like swimming the least and because it’s cold outside.  Get your butt in the pool!  This is a great time of year to work on developing your technique.  If it is too cold to ride outside get some Spinnerval DVD’s and do some work on your indoor trainer.  Limit or eliminate the spin classes in the gym and do work on your trainer if you can’t ride outside.  This will be much more beneficial for your upcoming race season.  Now is also the time to think about getting a triathlon coach if you don’t already have one.  Many people wait until a few months before their race to get a coach.   Your coach needs this time to get to know your strengths and weaknesses.  This is a great time to get a coach and set your season up to be a successful one. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Triathletes - to spin or not to spin?

The Ironman Tattoo

Read Those Labels Carefully, You Might Be Missing Something