2014 – What’s your plan?

IM South Africa

I am always excited January 1st because I look forward to what will happen in the New Year, both the good and bad.  I enjoy and live for the good and I learn from the bad.  You have to be prepared for both but hope to have a good balance of the two as in a lot of good and a little bit of the bad. 

I always have a plan for myself going into the New Year.  I don’t set resolutions because I don’t believe in them just like I don’t believe in diets. I feel they are temporary and they don’t create a lifestyle change.  I do however set goals each year for myself in my personal and professional life.  Last year I wanted to start a non-profit helping bring awareness to pet obesity.  I did not do that however, I did become more involved with my volunteering at the Nevada SPCA, which has brought me so much happiness I can’t believe I waited so long to do it.  I go there 1-3 times a week and walk and run the dogs at the shelter.  It is so rewarding and enjoyable that I only wish I had more time to do it more often.  So even though I did not start my non-profit I feel as if I have accomplished a lot by volunteering my time in other ways. 

One of my favorite dogs to run Violet
got adopted this year!
In 2013 my professional career was outstanding. I had one of my busiest years and I have retained many clients for over 5 years!  I also took a leap of faith and decided to begin massage school. I originally was planning on starting school in January of 2014 however they had a class starting in October so I decided to start earlier than expected.  This means I will be a licensed massage therapist by June 2014.  Incorporating massage into my current business is going to set me apart from other trainers/coaches.  I will be able to help my clients in so many ways far above the average personal trainer.  I continue to learn and acquire new skills to make me a better trainer and coach.  Going to school full-time and working was a very tough decision to make.  I had to cut back on my work several hours per week, which meant losing a few clients.  It also means I have 6 days of work and 5 days a week of 12-hour days between work and school.  I had to make the choice not to race in the beginning of the year in 2014until I am out of school. The only event I am doing is a 6-hour run in which I am raising money for the Nevada SPCA. 
 
Training for IM CDA after
70.3 St. George
Looking back at the year I had my most accomplished year of training!  I had my fastest half and full Ironman ever!  I finished South Africa Ironman in 11:18 and 7th in my age group!  I finished San Juan 70.3 (sick) with a 5:18 and I qualified for 70.3 Worlds in Vegas!  I was 2nd overall at the Irongirl Sprint in Las Vegas and had one of my best-run times at the 70.3 in St. George.  Overall I feel really great about how the year went.  Not everything went as expected and I didn’t achieve my goals 100% but that’s ok because I feel really good about the year.  I did want to qualify for Kona but it didn’t happen.  I still want to qualify and hope that one year it will happen.  I ended the year injury free and completed 2 full IM’s and 3 half IM’s.   

World Championships
Raining day it sucked!
For 2014 my number one goal is to finish massage school and get my license.  I already have a detailed plan in place on how I will incorporate it into my current business.  I am excited about this new adventure in my life. I will race at the end of next year at either IM Brazil or Cozumel.  Once again I hope to qualify for Kona but I would also like to PR again so anything better than an 11:18 would be ok in my book!  Once I finish massage school I would like to get my Level 2 certification for USAT coaching. I am not sure this will happen in 2014 or 15 but I know I want to do it.

Terry and Whitney! The St.
George relay team
My ultimate goal is to be the best trainer to my clients. I love what I do and I have a passion for what I do. I love living a healthy and a fit life and I want people to be able to feel the benefits of it also.   I hope to influence people to make better choices and incorporate better habits into their life.  Going into the New Year don’t set resolutions and don’t start a new diet but make specific lifestyle changes and make specific long and short term goals that are attainable.  For me the New Year is a good time to reflect on the last year and plan the year ahead. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Triathletes - to spin or not to spin?

The Ironman Tattoo

Los Cabos 70.3 Relay Recap